How to enable Remote Desktop Connection on your PC
The Remote Desktop Connection is the clients’ server in which you can connect to a computer running Windows from another computer running Windows which are connected to the same network or to the Internet.
From the RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) you can use all of your work, computer’s programs, files, and network resources which were related to your task from your home/personal computer and it will be just like you were sitting in front of your computer at the workspace.
Based on the individual projects the Remote Desktop differs. In Some Projects the
Systems will be given direct access to Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). But in some cases, the users have to create the workspace, and then only they will have the access to Remote Machine.
In order to connect to a remote computer, the system must be turned on, it must be checked for network connection. After this the Remote Desktop must be enabled, you must have network access to the remote computer.This could be through the Internet, and you must have permission to access RDC.
For permission, you must fulfill the following Requirements:
- You must be on the list of users.
- Before connecting to RDC, first, we have to find computer name you’re connecting to and also have to make sure that Remote Desktop connections are allowed through its firewall.
- In case your user account doesn’t require a password to sign in, then you have to add a password before connecting to the remote computer.
Steps to enable Remote Desktop Connection you want to connect to:
- Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
- Click Remote settings.
Note: In case, if you were asked for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Under this Remote Desktop, select one of the three options
- Later on. Click select users.
If you’re an administration person of the system, your current user account will be automatically added to the list of remote users and you can skip the next two steps.
- In the Remote Desktop Users dialog box, click Add.
If you are not an admin person then, In the Select Users or Groups dialog box, do the following:
- To specify the search location, click Locations, and then select the location you want to search.
- In the search box enter the object names to select, then type the user name that you want to add, and then click OK.
- The name will be displayed in the list of users in the Remote Desktop Users dropdown box. ClickOK.
- Then click OK again.
Steps to find the computer name of the remote computer:
- On the remote computer, open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then click Properties.
- Then you will see the dialog box of Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, you can find your computer name if your computer is set to a specified domain.
Domain: It will be based on the project and tool in which the clients require.
Workgroup/ workspace: It also differs from the different project in the company.
Steps to allow Remote Desktop connections through a Windows Firewall:
If you were having any trouble in connecting to Remote Desktop connections then there might be getting blocked by the firewall. Here is how to change the setting on a Windows PC. If you’re using another firewall, make sure the port for Remote Desktop which will be usually 3389 must be open.
- On the remote desktop, click Start button and select Control Panel.
- Click System and Security.
- Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall under Windows Firewall.
- Now Click Mouse cursor on Change settings and tick the box near Remote Desktop.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Steps to set a password for your user account:
Your user account must have a password before using Remote Desktop Connection to connect to another computer/ system.
- ClickStart button and select Control Panel.
- Double-click User Accounts.
- Select Change your Windows Password that can be seen under User Accounts option.
- Click Create a password for your account and follow the step by step instructions displayed on the screen.
Steps to start work in Remote Desktop on the computer:
- Open Remote Desktop Connection by clicking the Start button
- Search for RDC and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
- In the Computer box, type the name of the computer that you want to connect to, and then click Connect.
- In case you are not provided with the computer name, you can also type the IP address instead of the computer name based on requirement.