Once the Internet has its usage all over the world, people started using it effectively for transfer of their personal files, company files and even do online transactions. Now this on one side was a huge success of Internet but on the other hand, there was a big question of Security. So initially big companies started using more secured way of Internet called as VPN, which later on became popular for many individual online users also. Now in this post, I will be explaining about VPN, its importance and Simple steps for Windows 7 VPN setup.
What is a VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a private network enabling the user to securely browse the internet through shared or public network as if the device is directly connected to that private network. User’s initial IP address is replaced with the one provided by the VPN provider. Let’s say the user resided in Mumbai but with the help of VPN, he or she can appear to live in Venice, New York or any gateway city. It is often used by large firms but private VPNs for individual users are also becoming popular and essential nowadays.
Importance of a VPN
- Access your favorite websites on the internet securely as most of the public Wi-Fi found in malls, airports, coffee shops are proven to be unsafe and easily accessible by hackers.
- Some websites and applications are blocked in some countries and VPN comes handy whenever the user is traveling without compromising the safety of data as well as accessibility.
- Accessibility to information is one of the important aspects as it provides remote access from home or any other place for any employee of a company.
- Files can be shared in a group if it is needed for a long period of time.
- Provides complete anonymity compared to hiding IP and proxy websites.
- Implementing VPN solution can escalate the bandwidth and competence of a network and consequently the performance.
- Network setup and surveillance would not be a concern anymore because VPN service comes cheap with low maintenance.
How to setup a VPN?
One can setup a VPN either through the options built in Windows OS or by using third party softwares. When you go with Windows setup for VPN, you need to follow some steps in establishing it. But when you go with third party softwares, VPN setup is quite easy. Here I would be explaining the procedure to setup a Windows VPN.
Procedure for Windows 7 VPN setup:
Step 1: Click on Start Menu and type VPN in the search box.
Step 2: Enter the Internet Address for which connection has to be made. Here you need to type the Internet Address and Destination Name, this data can be obtained from your Network Administrator or Internet Service Provider. After that click Next.
Step 3: Enter your desired Username and password for the VPN. Then click Create.
Step 4: After that type Network into the search box in the start menu, and click on Network and Sharing Center from the option shown above.
Step 5: On the screen displayed click on Connect to a network.
Step 6: After clicking on connect to a network, a list of VPNs pop up. Right click on the one which you created and choose properties.
Step 7: In the properties screen select the Security tab and under Type of VPN change Automatic to Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP).
Step 8: Now under Networking tab make sure that only the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and Client for Microsoft Networks are checked. If other protocols are checked, uncheck them by clicking on the checkbox. Then Click OK to complete the VPN setup on Windows 7.
Step 9: But if you wish to have a more secure connection use Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPsec). To do this, again go to Security tab and under Type of VPN select L2TP/IPsec option and then click on Advanced settings.
Step 10: On the screen that appears click the radio button labeled Use preshared key for authentication. Then type your VPN provider address into the text box labeled Key. Then click the OK button.
This completes the Windows 7 VPN setup. Hope you have no trouble in following the above steps. Now the internet that you use would be on Virtual Private Network. If you have any problem in VPN setup, do comment below as we would get back to your problem.